EYFS Attainment Overview - Insight's interpretation of data

Evening all

I wonder if anyone can help - I have seen other similar posts yet none of the replies seem to quite nail down an answer to my query! So here goes…

Having inputted my Year R baseline data into Insight a few weeks ago, I have been approached by my Headteacher with some queries (i.e. data anomalies) which seemed strange. Following this conversation, I am reviewing how Insight has interpreted the baseline data I have inputted and it seems that it has said anything 30-50+ or above is ‘at expectation’ and therefore ‘in-line with expectation’ and therefore on track to achieve the ELG for that area of learning. However, this is contrary to Ofsted guidance which states that if a child is at ‘40-60 emerging’ on entry to Year R, they are on track. Anything less and they aren’t, according to them.

Having seen other forum posts, it seems to me as if I have wrongly interpreted what Insight means in its use of “-/=/+” within each age descriptor. I have taken it to mean, for example, that ‘30-50-’ is equivalent to ‘30-50 emerging’, and that ‘30-50=’ is equivalent to ‘30-50 developing’.

However, I now think that Insight has interpreted the “-/=/+” as ‘emerging, expected, exceeded’ respectively. So I guess in this way, Insight is saying, for example, that ‘30-50+/exceeding’ means essentially the same as ‘40-60-/emerging’ and so it interprets this to mean that a child who on entry is at ‘30-50+’ is on track and in line with expectations to achieve that ELG.

Sorry…I realise I am rambling slightly (mainly because I’m not really sure what I’m looking at and what I ideally want to be looking at!)

I guess my query, in its simplest form, is this:

~ does Insight use ‘-/=/+’ to mean ‘emerging/developing/secure’ respectively or does it use ‘-/=/+’ to mean ‘emerging/expected/exceeding’? If it is the latter, then our data currently looks skewed and inaccurate, since it is interpreting my judgement that they are at the top end of ‘30-50m’ (i.e. 30-50+) as being ‘in-line with expectation’ which, in the way I want the data to look, they are not.

And so…

~ can the settings be changed to reflect the way we want to see and interpret the data as a school? And if so, how? Or do I need to enter the data in a different way? (Really hoping the answer is the former!)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi @Chris_Boalch, thanks for getting in touch about this!

The Development Matters mark scheme is designed to be customisable, so the -/=/+ can be interpreted by each school as fits their assessment policies. Sometimes that means the default thresholds for evaluating each option might need to be changed to fit a school’s assessment policies, and sometimes schools prefer to change the terminology itself as well. For example, some schools use 40-60 E/D/S or similar, instead of -/=/+.

The thresholds for evaluating the assessments against age related expectations that we’ve set as the default were based on guidance from Ofsted quite a long time ago, in the absence of any official guidance! I’m not sure if you’ll be able to see this below, but it shows what Insight uses by default:

I’ll email you across the spreadsheet version of that, which allows you to make any amendments you’d like. You can then send back to us and we’ll update Insight to reflect how you’re working in school.