Lower attainers

How do you decide who are the lower attainers in each year group as the number of children remains constant over each subject area??

Hi @Bernadette_Chernenko, thanks for the question! The KS1 Attainment Bands are “cross-subject”, based on a calculation detailed in this guide: Filters & Groups: EYFS/KS1 Attainment Bands

I hope that helps?

If I use the lower attainer as a key filter group how is the lower attainer calculated ?Is is based on KS1 data from sat scores from the Y 2 for the KS2 children and does is use EYFS data for the Year 1 and 2 children?

Yes that’s right (so won’t normally be possible to calculate for the current Y1 or Y3 due to missing statutory data)

Specific formulas are all detailed in the guide linked to above, or I’ve copied the main points below:

KS1 Attainment Bands

For pupils currently in KS2, Insight looks for SATs assessments recorded in Y2, for the Summer(2) term, in the subjects Reading, Writing and Maths.

The assessment name SAT is preferred, but if not found Insight will try Main Assessment.
The attainment band is calculated using this formula:

If any result is “lower” than WTS e.g. PKF, P Scale, etc then the Band = Low
If two or three results are GDS then Band = High
If two or three results are EXS or GDS then Band = Middle
Otherwise Band = Low

EYFS Attainment Bands

For pupils currently in KS1, Insight looks for assessments recorded in Reception, for the Summer(2) term, in the subjects Reading, Writing and Numbers.

The assessment name EYFSP is preferred, but if not found Insight will try Main Assessment.

The attainment band is calculated using this formula:

If two or three results are Exceeding then Band = High
Else if two or three results are Expected or Exceeding then Band = Middle
Otherwise Band = Low