New Headlines report

The new Headlines report is currently being tested and will soon be rolled out to all users. It will be found in the cohorts menu, as usual. This highly flexible report will enable users to tabulate data quickly and easily, and present it in a really accessible format. It behaves a bit like a pivot table in Excel.

For those that are helping to test it, here is a step-by-step guide to creating a simple report. The aim here is to compare % at/above expected at KS1 compared to latest assessment for my current years 3-6. I’ve selected years 3-6 at the top (click year group dropdown at the top, click multiple selections and select years 3-6. If y9ou can’t see the year group dropdown, click on the filter button and select year group option).

Then select ‘single assessment point’ option. The first two options (‘calculate’ and ‘where attainment is’) are fine. No need to change those for this report. Then select Year 2 (because KS1 is our start point), subjects reading, writing and maths, and assessment name ‘SAT’. This will provide a column of %ARE at KS1 for our current KS2 cohorts.

Next, we want to add a column to show the latest assessment data. To do this, click on the ‘add more report data’ button (see screenshot):

Then select ‘attainment evaluation figure’ (this provides % data) and select following options from the dropdowns:

This will give us the% at/above ARE in each subjects based on latest assessment data for each year group

Now click on the green Generate Report button and you should get a report like this:

The issue with this report is the data is not lined up in the same row and it is not broken down by cohort. This can easily be sorted by clicking the ‘report settings’ button (this will take you back to the options), scrolling down to the ‘add report headers (optional)’ section and selecting the following options:

By selecting ‘Pupil Year Group’ under row headers, and ‘assessment name’ under column headers, our table will be structured as follows (click generate report again to check):

Now click on report setting button again, and we can continue to add further columns. Here, I’ve added a stacked bar column to add a visual element to my table. To do this, click on the ‘add more report data’ button again, and select the ‘attainment band chart option’. I’ve not changed any of the dropdown options because the default settings work here:

This will add a bar chart column to your report which should now look like this:

You can continue to add more columns as desired (eg an attainment bar column for KS1 SAT). You can also add rows to show % at/above ARE in combined subjects (reading, writing and maths). Just keep clicking the ‘add more report data’ button. Here’s my final report:

and don’t forget to name your report when you’re done.

Get in touch if you need any help.

Jamie

1 Like

Looking forward to using this! Hopefully will be used to replace our current excel spreadsheets we have to populate ourselves!

1 Like

It’s an excellent tool. Need to get the hang of it, but once you do, it’ll save hours.

1 Like

If you would like to beta test the new Headline report please drop the team an email via support@insighttracking.com .

Please kind in mind the report is still under development, so we’re keen to hear all feedback and ideas.

1 Like

Good evening,
So far I am loving the new headline reports and can see the time saving benefits.
One thing which would be good but I’ve not found yet, is if it can also tell us how many children are in the year group as part of the chart?
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad the new reports will be saving time.

Displaying the number of pupils is on my list of things to add.

1 Like

Great thanks!

The more I use it the more I find ways I find to do things.

Another thing we are finding it that we like to compare a whole cohort to children who are just Pupil Premium. Is there a way we can have the two? Whole cohort and then just PP in one place?

At the moment the headlines report only shows PP and non PP if you use the filter but we could do with whole cohort and PP.
I think this request is similar to that of another thread asking for specific key groups?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Natalie_Taylor, thanks for the feedback! We actually have an open request here to always show the whole cohort when looking at groups (across all of Insight’s reports, where it makes sense), so it’s something we’ll definitely look at in future :slight_smile: