Which band are people using for N2 children before adding data?

We are currently changing to Insight from O track. I have inputted all previous data having agreed on what the old system reflects on the new but am wondering how to create data for the current half term onwards. My confusion is which age band to work from for my N2 children. The results if I look at 30-50 band will be very different to those for 40-60 band as in on track, below, just below etc… Can others please advise as to how they have tackled this issue?

Hi Kath, thanks for getting in touch. I thought it might be helpful to share what I know most schools are doing, having looked at your Insight setup.

Most schools are making assessments in the early years using the Development Matters “mark scheme” in Insight, which lets you enter age bands, like 30-50+, 40-60- etc (the exact setup is customisable per school). Would it be easier for you to assess in that way, than use the same point-in-time terminology as KS1/2 ("On-track, Above etc)? You absolutely can do the latter if you prefer, but if so I’m not 100% sure I understand your question. Let me know you think!

Thanks for that Sarah. Yes I did start entering data that way, but then it was decided to use the same system as the rest of the school so I have re inputted all past data, but wasn’t sure how to progress to this half term using the new system only. As such, I don’t know whether I am to judge my N2 children using the 30-50 month criteria (where they would be doing well) as they are mostly 4 years old now, or the 40-60 band criteria when the results would show they still have a long way to go in some cases.

Ah that makes sense - I understand now! That probably isn’t really for us (at Insight) to say, and there seems to be painfully little “official” guidance on these questions. There is the following from the Ofsted Subsidiary Guidance January 2013, No. 110166:

Attainment on entry to nursery at age three
5. Most children are likely to be working within the ‘Development Matters’ band for 30–50 months, having shown competence in the preceding band for 22–36 months. This may be referred to as the age-related expectation at the beginning of nursery. Attainment on entry is likely to be below age-related expectations where a substantial proportion of children in a school do not demonstrate competence in the 22–36 month band.

Attainment on entry to reception at age four
6. Most children are likely to demonstrate some of the skills, knowledge and understanding described by the development statements in the ‘Development Matters’ band for 40–60+ months, in addition to those in the preceding band for 30–50 months. This may be referred to as the age-related expectation at the beginning of reception. Attainment on entry is likely to be below age-related expectations where a substantial proportion of children in a school do not demonstrate competence in the 30–50 month band. The statutory early learning goals establish national expectations for most children to reach by the end of Reception Year.

That’s really helpful, thank you.